Ramblings on the New Year

My hubby says that the way you ring in the new year is an indicator of how the rest of the year is going to go.


Well, we slept through it.


We crawled into bed around 10:00pm on New Year's Eve. (Don't judge me! We're new parents! We're tired! And we'd probably been up since around 6am that morning.) Naeners set the alarm for 11:45pm, so we could at least be awake to see the ball dropping on television. He thought it was the least we could do since we obviously weren't hitting any big parties or painting the town pink for the New Year.


But we slept through the alarm, too.


Naeners woke me up around 1:45 am saying, "We missed it! We missed it! We missed the New Year!" Being a little miffed that he disturbed me in my sound sleep, I mumbled something back to him like, "And? What we didn't miss was the sleep!" I rolled back over into my slumber. So did he. Because we knew the baby would be waking soon for a nighttime feeding.


So if it is true what my hubby says about how one rings in the New Year, then what does that mean for us in 2011? Does it mean we're going to have a "sleepy" year? Does it mean we're going to continue to miss out on things? Or does it just mean that we need to grab our sleep when we can, and otherwise, just walk around in our usual sleep-deprived state like we've been doing since September?


One thing is for sure. I am not disappointed with the way we rang in the New Year. I got to sleep. At least for a little bit. Uninterrupted. Sleep is what I want. Sleep is what I need. Sleep was a good way, to me, to say good-bye to 2010 and hello to 2011.


And maybe that is why it has taken me 10 days to get this post up in the New Year. I've been taking cat naps and sleeping in my free time. I've been making sleep my priority. And it feels good!


I don't know what the New Year holds for us. We talked about our goals for the New Year. But, honestly, our goals for this year are no different than they were the year before. I think we just want to do the best that we can to make each other happy, have a nice and stable home for ourselves and our child, and to be the best people we can be.


Whenever there is some sort of transition, I do reflect a bit on myself and my life. Where have I come from? Where am I going? Am I a better person today than I was yesterday? Is my life headed in the direction I think it should be going?


But this year, I didn't write down things I wanted to accomplish. I didn't make a list of my goals and all of the things I am going to "change" about me. Because the truth is, the goals or the changes I want to make are always the same. They are things I am working on each and every day. Some days I am a success; other days, a complete failure. And my BroLaw summed it up quite nicely when he said, "You have an opportunity every day to make decisions to change your life. Resolve to make those decisions every day, and you won't need a New Year's Resolution." I think that statement is so true. You have a choice every day as to whether or not you're going to live the life you want, and  you really do not need a new year to tell yourself all the "good" things and ways you're going to live. Just do it. Every day. 


So that is what 2011 means to me. Not trying to make a bunch of sweeping changes in my life because it's a New year, but to continue to make an effort to be the person I want to be each and every day, to keep it simple, to keep it focused on me and my family. And that's it!


Oh, and to get as much sleep as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell Me All About It: