101 Things: January 2010 Review

I got to work on my list as soon as the new year of 2010 kicked off. I have a notebook and a chart, and I am taking notes and keeping track of my progress. I just have to remember I have 1001 days to get through this list. While I wanted to start it all this month...it was obviously impossible. However, I think I did a pretty good job of getting it going.

Here's my progress thus far ( and The Working List has been updated):


4. Buy a new piece of clothing for myself each month (2/32)
I went shopping with a friend in January and scored two new sweaters from Forever 21. I was pretty happy with the purchases and counting it for 2 months!


15. Make a new recipe each month (1/32)
This new recipe was made by recommendation of Naeners. It was delicious and may become a breakfast favorite for us. It is also a good way to use very ripe bananas.


Banana Pancakes

1 cup all purpose flour
1 Tb. white sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 egg beaten
1 cup milk
2 Tb. vegetable oil
2 ripe bananas

Combine flour, white sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl mix together egg, milk, vegetable oil and bananas. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture; batter will be slightly lumpy.  Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on both sides. Serve hot.


17. Find 25 new ways to cook chicken (not to count towards new monthly recipe) (1/25)
I found a new chicken recipe and it surely was tasty and good. It took minimal work from me to get it prepared. Here's the recipe:

Crock Pot Chicken

1 whole Chicken
1 apple
olive oil
2 pats of butter
seasoning

Rinse the chicken with cold water inside and out. Pat dry. Cut up an apple and place apple slices and 2 pats of butter on the inside of the chicken. Rub olive oil on the outside of the chicken and sprinkle favorite seasoning mix on the outside of the chicken. Cook on high for 2 hours; then low for 6 hours.

18. Find 50 25 new ways to cook potatoes (not to count towards new monthly recipe) (50) (1/25)
I reduced the number of recipes for potatoes from 50 to 25...it just seemed more doable. I have to be realistic here, ya know!

Baked Potato Bar

Baker potatoes (however many you may need)
Butter
Sour cream
Bacon bits
Ham bits
Steamed carrots
Steamed broccoli
Salt
Pepper
Cheddar Fried Onions
***Let your imagination run wild when it comes to toppings!

Clean and scrub the baker potatoes. Cover the skin with a layer of butter. Microwave until potato become somewhat soft to touch. Finish off in the oven. Have plenty of options for the “bar” so that everyone will be happy. Garnish to your hearts delight.

24. Go beer/alcohol free for 30 days
Done and Done! And still going!

35. Create a cover song playlist with at least 100 songs
I've started the cover song library, but I am in no way close to being completed. I feel like I've gotten a good start. If anyone has any ideas for good cover songs, please send them my way!

45. Eat dinner with Merle at least 1 time per month (2/32)
I had lunch with Merle (my grandmother) two times this month. I am counting my blessings that I did. I don't want to go into detail here because I just can't handle it emotionally right now, but things are not going too well for her. My hope is that I will be able to continue with this in the future, but everything is up in the air right now regarding her health. Thoughts and prayers are what she needs most right now.

54. Send a card/kudo/gratitude monthly to a friend/co-worker/family/random person/etc (1/32)
I got one out on behalf of a co-worker. Well, actually it was an intern, but I made sure her supervisor knew that she did a good job! I know I always liked positive feedback as a student intern. 

78. Set-up a compost unit
Ok, we don't have the unit in our back yard yet, but we do have the small kitchen counter compost bin. Per recommendation of a friend, we've been throwing the scraps in a flower pot outside when our indoor container gets stuffed. We really need to get our bin soon...really!

89. Take lunch to work in lieu of eating out/buying lunch
Again...not perfect...but I must say that I did kick off the year right by packing my lunch. I can honestly say that I got lunch out less than 5xs for the month of January 2010. It's not so bad taking lunch to work...and it saves that money! 

90. Save change from all cash purchases (do not use change when purchasing)
Honestly speaking (or typing), I really don't have cash on me all that much. However, I have a special container at home that has been dubbed my change jar for this challenge. I have been successful thus far at saving the change...I think I may have saved about $3.00. Woot!

91. Save $1.00 per day for 1001 days
I put aside my $31.00 for the month of January.

92. Read 12 new books (12)
I've started reading a book...I'll give you the details later on the book. For now, I am keeping it under wraps.

99. Conquer a video game all on my own without the help of Nae-Nae
This hasn't been completed either, but I did get to level 2 on the Wii Super Mario Bros. I must say that I am pretty impressed with myself.

1 comment:

  1. I like your #99! I just conquered my first video game last year on the Wii - Super Paper Mario!

    ReplyDelete

Tell Me All About It: